Launching This Website
Started by Admin, 26 May 2022
(16 posts)26 May 2022
This website is totally new so please don't be concerned if it doesn't seem to have a lot of content. I prefer to do an early "soft launch" and then update it as we go along.
Right now there are sections for Articles and a Forum. Other sections will follow as soon as possible. I am planning an area for photos, another for documents and one for maps. If you think there is anything that a One-Name Study should include, please tell me.
I have chosen to create my own forum software rather than picking something off the shelf as it allows me to use one log-in and registration to cover the forum, commenting on articles, and any other areas in the future which may require to be slightly restricted. It's also an interesting coding exercise for me! At the moment the forum is quite basic but I will add features as we go along.
Remember, this is not my website but one for everyone with an interest in the Melhuish family name. It's success will depend on the contributions of everyone, and especially you. Please register, and then use the forum to tell us about your research and ask any questions you may have. Direct any suggestions for improving the site to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(16 posts)2 Jun 2022
Melhuish One-Name Study has just been accepted as a member of the Guild of One-Name Studies.
(16 posts)8 Jun 2022
Since launch I have been making all sorts of changes, refinements and corrections.
So there is now a page for viewing members' profiles, another with a list of useful resources and you can also see a list of all the people on the Places of Birth map.
(16 posts)8 Aug 2022
Some more enhancements to the website:
- Registered users can now choose to receive an email when someone comments on an article or someone starts a new topic in the forum. Go to your profile to switch it on or off.
- There is now the facility to delete an entry on the Places of Birth map if you make a mistake.
- There are now some preset zoom settings on the Places of Birth map to make it easier to see the area you are interested in.
More to come....
(16 posts)20 Aug 2022
Here is a little bit of the "more to come" that I promised. The Places of Birth map has been tidied up to make it easier to use and to navigate. There is still a bit more to do: when looking at the people born in a place with lots of people (Cheriton Fitzpaine, for example) it is sometimes difficult to make the info window to show the name and details of each person as the anchor points (technical google-maps-speak) overlap. I will find a solution.
(16 posts)14 Sep 2022
There are some exciting new developments to report. Firstly the problems with "busy" locations on the Places of Birth map have been resolved, to my satisfaction, at least.
The big changes though are the Photos page and the Documents page. This really opens up the opportunity for registered members to contribute to the One-Name Study as well as to gain new information.
If you have any ideas for new features or improvements to what is already here, please send an email to email@example.com or leave a message here.
(16 posts)10 Mar 2023
A few more improvements to the website:
- You can now read a transcription of wills and other documents, if the contributor has provided one. This is really useful for hand-written documents as they are often verydifficult to read so it saves everyone a lot of time if they can see the fruits of the efforts of others.
- The search function has now been extended to cover photos and documents, as well as the articles and forum.
- The page layout for tablets and mobile phones has now been improved on various pages where it was a bit rtoublesome before.
|Posts 1 to 7 of 7|